Sunday, May 5, 2013

It's that time of the year again (finally).

We love us some spring multiplier onions around here. While I'm waiting for my favorites- lilacs and peonies, to bloom, I like to have a few extra picked and cleaned so I can admire them in a clear glass as one would a flower bouquet, with the convenience of pulling out a few to use (just remember to change your water once or twice a day). We don't have as many this year because we moved them last year, but the ones we do have are dandies and it is so fun to start using some fresh veggies. For green vegetables, I only have a half bag of broccoli and a few small miscellaneous bags (asparagus and okra, I think) left in the freezer.

So today, with spring onions, I made Rice with Carrots. I do have a lot of frozen blanched carrots left, and this is so far my favorite way, besides soup maybe, to eat them. They just aren't as good cooked and eaten plain as fresh ones are. This is the first time I didn't over cook my rice (it only took me three times), and I substituted about 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth I needed to use up for some of the water. I'll probably halve the recipe next time, but it went over pretty good with marinaded pork chops. I would put that recipe on here, but it wasn't a favorite. It was still good and moist, and the pork chops themselves were amazing, but it had more lemon juice and vegetable oil in it then I have used before. Typically I like a marinade with a lot of vinegar, and small amounts of soy sauce and Worcestershire with a little bit of olive oil.

I figured why not blog a little bit more about food. Gardening is our biggest summer hobby so its actually a good insight as to what we've been up to, and Katie and I both listened to a public radio broadcast this week about Michael Pollen, who is an author of many food books. Trav also brought home an article from the star tribune in which they interviewed the same guy! The premise of his book is that cooking is one of the most important things we can do, and yet the average person spends only 27 minutes cooking and 4 minutes cleaning up. That's per day!
I think this is the correct link, if you'd like to listen:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/features/npr.php?id=180824408

~Becky

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Super! I would recommend that people listen to this radio interview as it is very pleasant and informative (not at all boring blah blah which talk radio is often accused of being). Also, Pollan is a very pleasant read, and I think his book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, is as good a place as any to start. Thanks Becky for the post!

Lizzie said...

Thanks for the link - KT mentioned it a couple days ago!

Lizzie said...

Love the onions Becky. Wish I had some. My leeks didn't turn out so good. They are all soft. I guess it was to hard of a winter. I still have the onions you gave me, I think I will get them planted and see if they grow.
Love Mom

The Wistes said...

Liz, You should blog about cooking nettles- that is a seasonal food item and very interesting. ~Becky