Thursday, May 13, 2010

Notes from Norway II...

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:28 AM
Subject: Yes news!


> Hey Mumma,
> I have quite a story. First slept in too late to catch the first bus to
> Ron, but I figured I was there, I had to go for at least a couple of
> hours. I found the bus alright and left at about 1 in the afternoon. The
> trip was beautiful, as Norway is, and I stopped at the gas station to ask
> the dude working if he'd heard of any of the last names. Luckily there
> were some Lagruds in the area. It turns out that Tollef's youngest sister,
> Anne Wiste, married Syver Lagrud and they stayed in Ron. Eventually they
> came down and we met, I met Anne's daughter and grandchildren and
> greatgrandchildren. They are super duper nice and showed me the spot where
> Tollef grew up (the house is moved into the mountains). They do a little
> bit of farming (15 cows) and bring them up to the mountains every summer.
> They deposited me safely at the gas station to wait for the bus when I did
> something very stupid ... I missed the bus. I was partially my fault,
> partially that of the guy who worked at the gas station, partially no
> one's. See, to get back to Oslo I was going to take the bus at 8:50. Since
> it was Sunday evening the buses didn't run as late as normal and I had to
> first take a bus north before taking another one back south to Oslo.
> Normally one just takes a bus south. So, the dude at the gas station told
> me to stand on the wrong side of the road. I felt like it was wrong
> because I was thinking about it while standing there but I thought I
> should listen to a local since they would probably know better than
> me...wrong choice. I ended up calling our newly found cousins, only
> because I thought I could pay them gas money, they could drive my to a
> nearby town to take the train or a bus that I had found which would get me
> back to Oslo in time (remember I had a plane to catch at 10 AM the next
> day) but apparently they didn't believe me, tried to take me to a
> different city for a different train which wouldn't have given me enough
> time to catch a bus to the airport and so ended up driving me more than 3
> hours back to Oslo. How crazy is that? So, we need to do something
> extremely nice for them and they gave me an e-mail address and phone
> numbers and they have an ancestry book of the relatives in Norway (like we
> have for the states) and photos and are really really nice and interested
> in ancestry and that sort of thing. I'll send the e-mail address soon.
> Love you all! Katie


Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: WOW


> Hey!
> I am headed to Sardegna tomorrow so after I settle in i will send their
> e-mail to you guys and put up some pictures. After all of the traveling
> and preparing I am super tired. It is also cold and rainy here in Perugia
> where I am staying only 2 days. I go to Rome to bring some clothes to Alex
> before she heads home and then I will take the ferry to Sardegna, a train
> to a city in the south where I will meet one of the farmers and then I'll
> be picking strawberries, or so I think. Well, it is 1 AM and I still have
> to pack my clothes so i'd better do that. it has been so humid and cool
> that the clothes are drying super slowly and i don't know if dryers exist
> in Italy (they do, just no one has one).
>
> Love much, Katie

No comments: