Friday, March 12, 2010

My silly ideas and wandering feet

Hey y'all!

This will just be a quick one, I've got to get to bed so I can catch a train at 8 AM tomorrow (to Pisa!!). I have a quick story from a while back that will probably make you laugh . . .

The weather was finally nice one day in February and I had a bad case of Spring fever (as I'm sure you all can relate to) so I decided to walk to Assisi - it used to be a common city to walk to . . . back in the day. Anyways, I gathered my things - a sandwich of cheese and prosciutto cotto, a bar of chocolate and some crackers (notice that I did NOT say water) - and headed out of town.



The picture above was my first real look at Perugia from afar. The day was beautiful, perfect for a walk, and the traffic wasn't too bad (although italians are kind-of crazy drivers). I walked trough several little towns and, for some unknown reason, saw not a soul. I think it is because I walked through them during la pausa, a 4 hour break stores and people take every day from 12 until 4. It makes shopping a bit of a hassle because you have to shop on the stores' time, but it is a lovely idea.


Above, a sign that shows I was kilometers from nowhere! The walk was relaxing and I thought I was making good time. I stopped in a little town, San Ponte San Giovanni, I think, to buy a bottle of water and drank it in a little park where some young boys were practicing soccer. After a quick lunch I headed back on the road and really got myself in the middle of nowhere.


Some chickens I saw along the way.


This is road I ended up on. i wasn't sure if it was someone's drive-way or a road so I just kept walking. I ended up peeing in some brush alongside it before I started climbing the hill in front of me. By this time I also noticed that the sun was about to set and that I was only about half-way to Assisi.




I finally got to the top of the huge hill and saw Assisi a loooooooong ways away. I admit that my initial idea of walking there wasn't the smartest, but I wasn't silly enough to keep going with the sun nearly set so I made my way to the next macelleria (butcher shop) to ask about the bus schedule. The woman there must have thought I looked half-starved because she gave me the information and then a big pile of meat. Amazing meat. Fatto a casa (made in house) meat. I was exhausted so I hung out there for over an hour and chatted a bit with the kind woman and the jolly owner of the place who arrived a bit later and showed me lots of dead pig parts, including a pig head cut neatly in half! I finally made my way to the bus stop at the correct time - full of meat, warm and with an extra package of pancetta (kind-of bacon but WAY better) and coppa (a gelatinous type meat mixture made of everything but the squeal, quite literally) - only to have a bus whiz past me. Nearly crying (because by now it was dark) I decided to wait 10 minutes more. Luckily I did because another bus came and carried my weary self back to Perugia (note: it had taken me 4 hours to make it roughly 13 km, it took the bus 15 minutes).

And that is my silly story! Pictures of food and Ferrara (the city of bicycles) to come . . .

2 comments:

The Wistes said...

Hey Katie sounds like a very interesting day. Are you going to try it again? Some of the landscape looks like around here.At least you did'nt go to Austin.
Love Mom

The Wistes said...

Very neat pictures! - I'm glad it turned out okay, jeesh.
~Becky