Friday, November 5, 2010

Truman and his Pumpkins. (p.s. TGIF)

Truman is starting to get famous for his pumpkins- this picture shows what he has left this year. And again he tried several new varieties. I thought I had better get this seasonal photo up- as it is unbelievably that time of the year again.
Pretty soon it will be Thanksgiving (and before that, Charlie's baptism).

Truman and my pumpkin
Truman will be Charlie's great-godfather/uncle (as he is my sponsor).


I also finished my first week back at work. I feel mostly caught up, as I have a somewhat smaller caseload, and my coworkers have been great. Its been tough, though, every day a little more so. There's always something tugging at my heart, and its almost like I've reverted back to my, not so far off ago, post-pregnancy emotional state. I'm such a mess sometimes, which makes me feel so ridiculous, because my life is wonderful!
I've been in discussions with my boss and her boss, working out my part-time status. Its so difficult- even though it does not seem like it should be (I just want to work part-time so I can be with my baby more!)- and not because of where I work. They are trying to accommodate me and my new restrictions, so to speak. I knew that I would probably take a pay-cut, lose my benefits and have to move to a foreign part of the company. But honestly, my options really aren't that great, and change, no matter how wonderful, is hard. And why should I have to be demoted, worry about my finances, insurance, disability benefits, retirement, career, etc. just because I've made this choice? It feels like I'm being punished. And now it sounds like I'm whining. Except, I know in my heart that this is the only thing that I want to do, and all of the negatives are nothing compared to being able to stay at home during this time in my child's life. Its going to be so worth it. (I know I say this a million times, but maternity leave would be so much better if it lasted for a full year.)

One interesting thing I've come to realize, is that every mother/parent goes through this struggle to some degree- making a choice, sacrificing something. I'd never realized that before. (And oh so many other things I've learned; naive little me.)

~Becky

No comments: