Sunday, October 17, 2010

Instead of homework I cook/bake.

As a break during all of those arduous hours spent doing homework, I sometimes cook or bake My most recent project: sourdough bread. The picture below is my 'mother starter' or 'levain'. Is it strange that I'm thinking about naming her? She does live in my little pantry . . .


These 3 vessels pictured directly above contain my sourdough in 3 different stages. The levain/starter is on the furthest left. It lives on as long as I feed it. The middle was the jump-started version of the starter that I then mixed with flour, water and salt to make the dough on the furthest right which will soon become loaves of bread. Can't wait to pull those out of the oven!

1 comment:

The Wistes said...

Oooh, that looks really good, especially in black and white. I love your little pantry! I think I'm ready for one of Mrs. Sourdough's offspring (whatever her first name ends up to be). I promise to take very good care of him/her.
~Becky