Thursday, August 27, 2009

August Harvesting...

I came home from work one day earlier this month, and Trav had picked me a mini supper. The watermelon had needed to come off, and it was a little green; but how sweet is that? (I figured I better put my hand in for reference, or else who would have known they were mini?)

Here is the product of what I am considering to be my first official "start to canning". I refuse to count the stewed tomatoes I did a week earlier, as that would throw off my current 100% sealing rate. One top popped off (which my mom, with years of canning experience, even thought was crazy). And I (know I shouldn't of, but tried to anyways) used old sealing lids. Oh well, live and learn, and probably don't eat. I then went out and bought new lids (side note: which are silver this year; weren't they gold last year? love the silver but they clash with the gold rings) and resealed. Hopefully they are okay to use, as I read about resealing being fine, but I will definitely use the "smell test" first. The one that popped off smelled horribly raunchy, which does make me worry a little; but I'll label them separately. Maybe I just won't use them. I guess I haven't decided yet- its just frustrating when you put all that work into them, and Trav picked me onions and carrots to go in, which I then had to peel and chop; but it is better safe then sorry, so they say. I guess its not like there's an onion shortage. *Picture above is spaghetti sauce.

And finally, terra masu from my Knit Wits party. We had a fabulous spread, thanks to KT. She went all out, and right down to the black berries that my dad picked, most everything was homemade/fresh from the garden. I regret not taking a picture of my table full of fresh vegetables with homemade dip served in half of a green bell pepper (and not typical dipping vegetables, we had zucchini and peppers too, with teeny tiny tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots). As well as tomatoes and cheese broiled on homemade french bread, and of course the terra masu. Beverages included Spring Grove pop and Honest Tea. KT was worried about an hour before the party that things weren't turning out, but she seriously out did herself from last year, which I did not think was even possible. I then stated, "No way you can do better than this next year." Its just not humanly possible. But, she reminded me she will be fresh back from Italy with all new tricks up her sleeves, so I guess we shall see...

Well, time to prep up a giant feast for Trav's lunch and get myself to work.
*We are now followers of The Lingens' new blog. Check out their tomatoes!

~Becky

No comments: